Tuesday, September 9, 2008

You were our favorite, too!

I had the honor of attending the funeral of my grandma, Mildred Stringham, this past weekend. It was such a special time in so many ways. It was a privilage to have been part of this wonderful woman's life, a woman who left us with such an amazing legacy. I will miss her greatly, but I also rejoice in knowing that she is with her husband and that she lived such an amazing life.



click on image for larger view


The Farm
Ashton, Idaho

We knew before grandma passed away that when she did, we wouldn't hesitate to go back and visit the farm that holds so many wonderful memories for all of us. It was truly bittersweet to be there again with my entire family. It was so great to be able to spend this time together. There were many tears, but there was a whole lot of laughter as well! It was just like old times and I will remember it always. It was cool that all of the cousins and aunts and uncles decided to join us as well. We hadn't seen so many of them in so many years. It was so fun to catch up with everyone! Of course, we were the last to leave... I now understand why Grandma could never get rid of the farm. That small piece of land is just a small piece of heaven that belongs to us and it will be so hard to see it go.



The home that my grandparents bought shortly after they were married and raised their family in. The yard used to always be so beautifully maintained with a gorgeous lawn and carefully planted flowers. It was sad to see it so overgrown, but the inside still feels the same.

One of our favorite things to do as kids was walk out to the old farm equipment and climb all over it. It's been there for as long as I can remember!

The canal... I can't count how many hours we spent here while visiting Grandma. We threw rocks, swam, and nearly drove the three wheeler in here more than a few times!


Old remaining pieces of the farm...


My family just loved hanging out and taking pictures with me all afternoon. They just couldn't get enough of it and were sad when it was over. HA! ... I took sooooo many, but I'll just share a few.



Just a few of the cousins... We were all trying to think of some fun picture ideas when my cousin, Michelle, decided she wanted one next to this thing... we all laughed and laughed when my dad informed her that it was actually a manure spreader. Of course, then we all had to jump in for a picture! This was our serious pose. ;)







A special thanks to my newly reaquainted cousin, Michelle, who was also in the mood to reminisce and walked with us around the farm and helped take pictures! It was great to get to see her again (I almost said "meet" her again, because that's kind of how it felt)!



In Loving Memory
Mildred Hannah Hillam Stringham
July 13, 1915 - August 31, 2008


"Grandma Stringham was the most kind and most loving person I have ever met.... love and kindness defined grandma to everyone who knew her. Everyone here knows, without a shadow of a doubt, that you were her favorite. She showed [you] in everything she did." ~ Jason Stringham

43 comments:

Our Beautiful Life said...

Great pictures, Becca! Brian said the funeral was beautiful and you really captured that.

P.S. The deleted comment was from me - sorry.

The Mendenhall's said...

I love all the pics. You should e-mail some of our aunts and uncles and cousins your blog spot so they can see them.
These pics made me sad. When Eric picked me up I talked about how beautiful the funearl was, how great Jasons talk was. How much fun we had down there, and then started to bawl when I realized that we were never going back. I miss grandma so much and can't wait to see her again. She was amazing.

The J's said...

Thanks for sharing... I was very sad that I could not go to the funeral and be a part of it all, but I am sooooooooooo happy that the 7 of you got to have a lovely time!!!!!

jjstringham said...

Thanks so much for posting pictures. James told me how great the funeral was, and I can't wait to hear the recording of it. I wish I could've gotten to know Grandma Stringham better. I sure will miss not getting to play Pollyanna with her anymore.

Jenie said...

WOW! What a great set of family pictures!

Amanda said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandmother.
I LOVE the pictures of the farm, my grandparents also had a farm in Idaho and I have such warm memories of summer vacations spent playing in the fields and on farm equipment.

Your pictures are amazing (like always!).

TamBaum said...

Your pictures are so good. I am just going to start sending you mine to edit!

Jaime said...

Great pictures, as always. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to reminisce with your family & cousins. That helps with the grieving process. She sure sounds like a fantastic woman.

The Ward Family Tree and All of It's Branches! said...

I love your tribute to your grandmother and especially all of the pictures of you and your family. That is one sweet picture of your parents holding hands. What great memories you just made.

The Dillon 6 said...

It's no wonder you are such a calm and peaceful person, Becca! I can only imagine that you've done a beautiful job of capturing such precious moments in time. I'm grateful to your Grandma (and Grandpa and Dad and Mom). And I'm glad you're my friend. :)

kelly said...

what a great tribute.
those are some crazy rockin' pictures!
what kind of actions are you using on those clouds?

JulieK said...

That was so nice to read and see the wonderful pictures. I'm so glad you and your kids got some time with their great grandma this summer. Sorry to hear of your families loss but happy to hear of her reunion with your grandfather.

Ammo and Josh said...

Wow, amazing photos! They all look like they are straight out of a gallery! I love the big group one of your beautiful family. xo

Unknown said...

loved all the pictures! You are an amazing photographer

the monkeys' mama said...

the pictures are amazing and the story is bittersweet. I'm so happy it turned into a wonderful family reunion, though!

Pam D said...

In the South, funerals go hand in hand with family reunions, especially now, as families scatter and time is scarce. And when the person who is being "sent home" has lived a long and good life, it truly IS a celebration, especially if you believe in Heaven. You recorded the event with wonderful dignity and, in it's own way, joy; I LOVE your post! (and, your grandmother and I share a birthday, so I KNOW I would have gotten along famously with her if I'd had the chance to meet her!). Awesome, my friend...

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Amazing photos...especially the farm photos. Mine is here.

Julie Rivera said...

Wow. Look at all that life left behind by your grandmother. That is the true blessing in death, isn't it? And I absolutely love the way you processed your images. I have never been to Idaho, but it looked just as I thought it would. What lasting memories these pictures must be for your entire family.

WendysPhotos said...

What great memories and great pictures! Going back to a 'home place' like that can be very powerful! And to share that with family is great! I'm sure 'grandma' was watching all of this with 'grandpa' from above! Their spirits were with you, for sure!

Blessedw5mom said...

Wow! IF I could pick a "winner" fr this Vacation Week ... you would win for sure!

Erica said...

oh wow what a beautiful family legacy! and i love love love all your farm pictures! wow!

The Dillon 6 said...

of COURSE you're featured. seriously one of my favorite series of pictures. I wish I was in your family so I could have been there. Your post made me cry all over again!

Suki said...

That's my favorite vacation story!
I need to visit Idaho in my life someday. Probably there are loads of nice paces! Great shots!

Jessi said...

This is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing such an important trip. The pictures are just stunning as well. The clouds are gorgeous and your family was so cooperative!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

This was an amazing post with gorgeous photos. Thanks so much for sharing this! We just featured you on our side bar. Love this:-)

Amy
Co-Founder
I Heart Faces

Mark and Jennifer said...

Cool that this got featured. It brought back so many memories and of course the emotions that go with it.

My Two Seasons said...

Beautiful and touching story! Your pictures are fabulous! Thank you sharing this!!

Karyn said...

These are stunning! I love the processing on them, coupled with your compositions, you have taken the ordinary and made them very special. I love that your family was willing to participate, you will have those memories for a lifetime now, no matter the reason for returning to a piece of "home" I have a feeling the "whole" family was present that day! Very touching, thank you for sharing!

heather said...

I somewhat feel at home looking at these shots... oh wait, I grew up about 30 minutes away from Ashton. Beautiful story telling! Funny thing, my dog shot you commented on last week (Conan) was taken just minutes from your shots here. Small world!

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures. I am crying my eyes out.

Drew said...

I bet your grandma would have loved seeing her family having such a fun time reminiscing at the farm. Grandparents are the ones that tie the family together. It never seems to be the same after that. Hopefully whoever becomes the new owners of the farm will let you come back now and then. Thanks for sharing this beautiful reunion!

Indy Cookie said...

The images are beautiful as is the post. What a wonderful tribute to an obviously much loved lady.

heather said...

To answer your question.... I have been kind of in love with my Nikon 24mm 2.8 fixed lens lately. I went though a phase (perhaps I am still in it) where I thought fixed lenses were the best and apparently 24mm works well with my vision. That is what the majority of my recent blog posts have been shot with.

Heather said...

I love the farm house photos!

Gibb Family said...

Love it! you win in my books. Im from Idaho and moved to Alberta last year. Makes me miss home. I love funerals as weird as it sounds. I love reuniting with family and the good times. Great Photos!

TanishaRenee said...

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing!

lislynn said...

So beautiful...

Julia Strong said...

I'm in love with these pics! I've been trying to find an action to give me this look on my own farm pics. Would you mind sharing waht you have used? I'm dying to know!

Unknown said...

I could seriously just look at these pictures all day long! What a gorgeous photographer you are - your style, your heart, your stories . . . I love it all! :-) thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Unknown said...

Hello. Thanks for sharing. It sure brought a tears to my eyes. I felt in the moment with you. The pictures tell so much. I love them. Thanks again and great job.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing a special slice of your life with us. Funerals can be a special time to see and be with loved ones.

Your conversions are stunning! Where these double processed? I think that's what you call it. I've been reading about that and loved your image style.

Skeller said...

These pictures are true treasures. I'm so sorry for your loss...

If there's anything you all can do to keep the property in the family ... I still deeply miss my grandparents property/home and wish I had moved heaven and earth to keep it.

Marla said...

These are georgous photos. Great editing!