Monday, January 3, 2011

Harry Potter: The Exhibition

To fuel my obsession with all things Harry Potter, I took the kids to the Pacific Science Center today where the amazing Harry Potter Exhibition is going on. The exhibition had tons of props and costumes that appeared throughout the Harry Potter films and also recreated sets from Hogwarts including the Gryffindor common room, Hagrid’s hut, the Great Hall and my favorite... Doris Umbridges pink office with all the kitty cat plates. Aaaah! It was so cool and the kids had just as much fun as I did. (Well... except for maybe David who just wanted to get through it so we could hurry up and ride the monorail.)


I was a good girl and did not take any photos like I was told so I lifted these off the internet so I will remember all the cool stuff we saw. Before we started our tour, they let a few of the kids sit on a stool and have the sorting hat pick their house. Audrey was chosen to be a Hufflepuff. Meagan and Blake were both chosen to be in Gryffindor, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that they told the sorting lady that this was their favorite.


All of the costumes and most of the artifacts were actually used on set in the movies. They had so many customes from each of the cast that they wore in the film, the beds from Gryffindor tower, Harry's wond and glasses, the copy of Advanced Potion making with all of the Half-Blood Prince's hand written notes, the golden egg, newspapers, The Quibbler, Umbridge's signs, and the Nimbus 2000, and so much more. I couldn't get enough. It AWESOME for this totally obsessed Harry Potter fan!!

After touring the exhibition we wondered around the Science Center for a bit and then headed off to ride the monorail (finally!). It has turned into a tradition to ride the monorail over to the mall and grab some lunch and then ride it back. No trip would be complete for David without a ride on the train in the sky.







Now you'll have to excuse me while I go warm up some frozen dish for my kids so I can sit down and watch a bit of Harry Potter!

8 comments:

Holly said...

Did you actually see those things that you posted from the internet? Are they real artifacts that were actually used in the movies, or replicas? Tell me everything.

Rebecca said...

Oh yes Holly! All of the costumes and most of the artifacts were actually used on set in the movies. They had so many customes from each of the cast they they wore and the beds, and wonds, and glasses, and books, and the golden egg, newspapers, and The Quibbler, and Umbridges signs, and the Nimbus 2000, and so much more. I couldn't get enough. It AWESOME for this totally obsessed Harry Potter fan!!

Our Beautiful Life said...

I never got into the Harry Potter craze, but I'm glad you had a fun time! The pictures of the kids with their coats open make me SO. COLD. It is freezing over here. This morning it was -2° when I went to warm up my car. It's miserable!

Heather said...

Love it! I want to make it someday to Florida to visit Harry Potter land.

Jaime said...

What a fun day! I love all the pictures, and it sounds like a fantastic visit to the science center.

The Dillon 6 said...

so awesome! Laurel really REALLY wants to go..I may have to cave...

Shanna said...

Rebecca! I love your "lifted" pictures! I was so mad that they wouldn't allow photography in there! You are a mad genius!

The J's said...

I love fun traditions!!! I don't understand the Harry Potter infatuation, but I'm glad that you were able to really get into it!!! Each time you post pix, the kids get bigger and bigger... maybe you should stop posting?!? We were so excited to visit Seattle this summer but witht the baby's cond... jason will be out of vaca days. He didn't do a single day of vaca last year so that we could save up and come for 2 weeks, only to find out that they cash it out in Dec if you ahven't used it... darn!!! Can't wait to see ya'll when we do though!!!!